Effect of mercury on the survival, respiration, and growth of postlarval white shrimp, Penaeus setiferus.
Green, F.A., Jr.
MetadataShow full item record
The results of toxicity experiments have shown that a level of 17 ppb ionic mercury is acutely toxic (96-h LC50) to postlarval white shrimp (Penaeus setiferus). In addition, the size of the shrimp, within the range tested (7 to 35 mm) did not significantly alter the toxicity value of mercury to this species. Fifty-seven days pre-exposure to low levels of mercury (0.5 to 1.0 ppb) had no effect on the acute toxicity (96-h LC50) of mercury to the shrimp. The effect of chronic exposure to low levels of mercury on the respiratory rate, growth, and molting rate of postlarval P. setiferus was studied and the results showed that 60 days exposure to 0.5 and 1.0 ppb mercury did not significantly affect any of these parameters for the postlarvae.